Tuesday, October 7, 2008

A True Hero, Pastor Ken Blue

"Thine own friend, and thy fathers friend, forsake not." Proverbs 27:10

I was just a little girl of about 4 or 5 when we started attending Open Door Baptist Church. Even today when I hear Pastor Blue speak it brings me back to those days as a child when I would fall asleep on my mothers lap during the church service with his authoritative but tender voice in the background. Pastor Blue has been a part of our family since those days back in the early 70's. He and my dad are best friends, bossom buddies, kindred spirits. He has always been there for us, no matter what we needed. My sisters and I consider him to be a very important part of our lives. He opened each of our wedding ceremony's with a prayer for God blessings and the big question, "Who gives this bride away?", as we stood with our dad at the altar. I am so thankful for everything he has done, from his teachings to his care for others and self sacrifice for the work of God.Sunday night there was standing room only as he said goodbye, and his journey ended as Pastor of Open Door Baptist Church. 39 years ago he started the church in the living room of his home, and has poured his life into reaching the lost and helping others to find a fuller and deeper relationship with the Lord. I was blessed to be able to hear the testimonies from all over the world of how he had touched so many lives during his ministry. With his health deteriorating, and his body weakened by his illness, I still consider him to be one of the strongest men I know. The tears in his eyes tore at my heart as he held his arm out across the congregation and told the new pastor, "Here, it's yours. I give it to you." Pastor Blue is a true hero in every sense of the word. He has been faithful to the end, never faltering on what God wanted him to do with his life. He invested his time and money into something that will not pass away, but will continue throughout eternity. I am honored to know such a man.

"Well done, thou good and faithful servant...enter thou into the joy of thy lord." Matthew 25:21


No comments: