Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Nails In The Fence

I love this little story, but even more than that...I love the meaning behind it.
There once was a little boy who had a bad temper. His Father gave him a bag of nails and told him that every time he lost his temper, he must hammer a nail into the back of the fence.
The first day the boy had driven 37 nails into the fence. Over the next few weeks, as he learned to control his anger, the number of nails hammered daily gradually dwindled down. He discovered it was easier to hold his temper than to drive those nails into the fence. Finally the day came when the boy didn't lose his temper at all. He told his father about it and the father suggested that the boy now pull out one nail for each day that he was able to hold his temper.
The days passed and the young boy was finally able to tell his father that all the nails were gone. The father took his son by the hand and led him to the fence. He said, 'You have done well, my son, but look at the holes in the fence. The fence will never be the same.' When you say things in anger, they leave a scar just like this one. You can put a knife in a man and draw it out. But it won't matter how many times you say I'm sorry, the wound will still be there. A verbal wound is as bad as a physical one, so use your tongue wisely.

Please forgive me if I have ever left a 'hole' in your fence.

4 comments:

The Browning Family said...

I love that too . .. I also love the song that your blog opens with. You've jazzed up your blog soo nicely! Hmmmm . .. I'm craving tea, and sitting with an old friend and being silly together.
Have a wonderful rest of your week . . .

handstrustinhim said...

What a beautiful metaphor! I am thankful above all that Christ's blood can cover my sin.
God is so good....I'm crying right now....He has been working on me and has been teaching me so much about loving others. First He has had to humble me in many many many ways over the least several weeks. I am thankful for Him showing me just how wretched I am..I was reading I Peter in my devotions this morning. Several verses popped out to me and I began to study them deeper..one in particular comes to mind right now ..5:10 "But God of all grace, who hath called you unto his eternal glory by Christ Jesus, after that ye have suffered awhile, make you perfect, establish, strengthen, settle you." and this comes after 5:5-6 that says "..all of you be subject one to another and be clothed in humility:for God resisteth the proud and giveth grace to the humble. Humble yourselves under the mighty hand of God, that he may exalt you in due time."

It is amazing the work that God does and the events that He orchestrates for us to turn our eyes upon Jesus Christ the Lord. That word perfect in v10 is so amazing....the greek says that it means "restore". After we suffer awhile for the purposes He desires to work out in our lives and the lives of other...HE RESTORS US, Stedfastly sets us (establish), and strengthen us in spiritual knowledge and power..then settles s right where He wants us...on our knees at the feet of THE KING.
It is also amazing that in verse 6 He says He will exalt us....but that does not mean He will make us higher than others (b/c our works are as filty rags)...it means He will then be able to use us when we are humble. That is so awesome.

Alice,
I am so very sorry for any of the nail holes I have left in your fence personally and the fence of BBC. PLease forgive my trespass against you. May God be glorified and magnified in all that will come from this trial as He restores each and everyone of us according to His purposes.

IN the next day or so I will be posting a lengthy piece in my blog on how God has brought me in the last few weeks to my knees concerning loving others...please read it when you can.
Under God's AMAZING grace,
Amanda

Anonymous said...

I love this story and the message behind it. I'm glad you found our blog and we can keep in touch this way.
You have a beautiful family.
Sharon Powell

Alice said...

Thank you for your note. Now it's my turn for tears. I have wanted to share a little bit about how God has been working in my life. Maybe I too, should post a lengthy blog with what has been on my heart, but first, I need to ask your forgiveness as well. I know I let you down when my heart wandered from the Lord, and I want to sincerely apologize for my part in our breaking of fellowship. I have missed you so much.
I praise Him for continuing to draw me closer to His side. The closer I get to Him, the more aware I become of my filthy state. SUCH LOVE HE HAS FOR US.
I love you, Amanda. Thank you again for your kind words.